Professional Workshop Details
Facilitator: Clerissa Cooper, LPC
Dates: Friday through Sunday, August 28-30, 2020
Location: Online Workshop through Zoom
Registration: 9:00 AM to 9:30 AM daily
Presentation: 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM daily
Lunch on Your Own: 12:15 PM to 12:45 PM daily
Fees: Regular Registration - $450 - registration closed
Though Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) skills were initially developed as a foundation to help treat system dysregulation associated with Borderline Personality Disorder, these same coping skills have been found useful for various other populations in the clinical setting. This engaging three-day course will help any clinician gain thorough knowledge of the foundational skills from the four DBT skills modules (i.e., mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal effectiveness) and learn how to utilize these skills to enhance individual, couples, and family sessions. Participants will also learn ways to approach client difficulties using skills to increase client motivation to use these skills in everyday life. Participants will also understand the components of comprehensive DBT and how to decide when a client needs more structured, formalized DBT services.
Participants will be able to:
- Learn how to teach foundational skills of the four DBT skills modules of mindfulness, interpersonal effectiveness, emotion regulation, and distress tolerance.
- Learn ways to incorporate mindfulness practice into sessions and encourage clients to use mindfulness outside of sessions to increase client awareness, acceptance, and emotion regulation.
- Learn ways to incorporate DBT skills into individual, couples, and family sessions.
- Identify common challenges of implementing DBT skills with clients and learn approaches to increase client motivation based on the underlying assumptions about clients and therapy in DBT.
- Identify the 5 components of comprehensive DBT and how to determine if a client is appropriate for an increase in outpatient DBT services such as formal DBT skills group or a formal comprehensive DBT program.
Continuing Education Hours
15 Core Hours for Professional Counselors (approved by LPCAGA)
15 Related Hours for Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists
August 28-30, 2020 - registration closed